Onkyo and Pioneer have announced the release of a firmware update for the Onkyo DP-S1 and Pioneer XDP-30R enabling MQA playback on their latest DAP players, delivering on a promise that was made when the two players were launched earlier this year.
The v1.10 update which can be downloaded over the air or via the MicroSD contains the following changes as reflected in the change log:
- Adds high quality MQA music file playback
- “Resume” function (re-starts from the beginning of last song after turn off and on)
- “Index” function with scroll slider
- “Home” short-cut function customisation
- “All songs” playback in “Folder” sorting mode
- Additional function at “Physical Side Keys”
- Mac OS 10.10 connectivity improvement via mass storage mode
- Micro SD card formatting function
- Stability improvements and other bug fixes
The update adds a number of functionalities and bug fixes on top of the highly anticipated MQA music file playback.
MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) is the most talked about acronym in Hi-Res music today, it is amongst the most exciting technology which emerged from the initiative. Partnering major and independent record labels, as well as streaming and premium download services, the company makes available original studio master recordings through it’s proprietary “origami” technique creating audio files which are small enough for streaming and downloading.