Shure announces the Shure KSE1200 Analog Electrostatic Earphone System at the Tokyo Headphone Festival 2018 Spring on Saturday, 28 April 2018.
The KSE1200 Analog Electrostatic Earphone System is Shure’s second Electrostatic offering after KSE1500 which was released two years ago. Unlike the KSE1500, the amplifier unit on the KSE1200 accepts only analog input, which means it is a pure amplifier unit unlike the KSE1500 which also features a DAC.
”We understand what it takes to design, develop, and manufacture audio products of the highest calibre. With over 20 years of experience in the earphone business we can confidently say that our electrostatic earphones are the pinnacle of our achievements,“ said Matt Engstrom, Senior Category Director, Product Management at Shure. ”The new KSE1200 system was developed for those who prefer the electrostatic sound signature using their own DAC. Like the KSE1500, the KSE1200 system produces the absolute highest level of detail and isolation available in a portable design and we are thrilled to now offer electrostatic sound at a more affordable price.“
According to Sean Sullivan, Senior Manager of Global Product Management at Shure, the earphones used on the KSE1200 is the same as the ones that were previously offered on the KSE1500 while the amplifier circuitry has been redesigned and optimised for analog input, resulting in a lower noise floor. The KSE1200 will also feature a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which offers a battery life of up to 12 hours of continuous usage.
Existing users of the KSE1500 will be disappointed to know that Shure will not be considering selling the amplifier unit of the KSE1200 as an option at this juncture.
The KSE1200 Analog Electrostatic Earphone System will be available globally between the end of Q2 and start of Q3 2018. Indicative pricing during the announcement is JPY 198,000 before tax, it is expected to be priced at USD 1,999.
Specifications of the KSE1200 Analog Electrostatic Earphone System
- Bias Voltage: 200 V DC
- Output Voltage: ±200 V, max.
- Output Current: ≤37 dB
- Noise Attenuation: ≤37 dB
- Transducer Type: Electrostatic
- Connector Type: LEMO Connector
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 50 kHz
- Maximum SPL (1kHz at 3% THD): 113 dB SPL
- Net Weight: 44.0 g (1.55 oz.)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: up to 107 dB A-weighted
- Adjustable Gain Range: -40 dB to +60 dB
- USB Input: USB Micro-B Receptacle, DC Input
- Line-In: Line-In Input 3.5 mm (1/8″)
- Housing Black Anodized Aluminum
- Net Weight: 155.0 g (5.47 oz.)
- Dimensions: 93 × 53 × 21 mm H × W × D
- Battery Type: Rechargeable Li-Ion
- Nominal Voltage: 3.6 V DC
- Battery Life: Up to 12 hours
- Charging Requirements: USB-powered: 5 V/0.5 A to 1 A
- Charging Time：Up to 3 hours to full charge with 1A charger
- EA2AMPBANDS： (2) Rubber Security Bands
- EA3.5MM6： 1/8″ (3.5mm) Cable, 6″/15.2 cm
- EA3.5MM36：1/8″ (3.5mm) Cable, 36″/92 cm
Source: Shure Japan Limited